Tibetan Monk Dies After Living Two Years With Torture Injuries Sustained in Custody

Sandra Loyd

A Tibetan monk who contravened of Chinese authorities in 2017 for sharing messages from the banished Dalai Lama has actually died, after investing the last couple of years in bad health from the torture he experienced while in custody as a political detainee that year, RFA has actually found out.

Gendun Sherab is thought to have actually passed away on April 18, according to a Tibetan source who asked for privacy for legal factors.

“[He] was apprehended 3 years earlier on the charge of sharing and sharing politically delicate files on WeChat and social media,” the source informed RFA’s Tibetan Service.

The shared file was “an acknowledgment letter from His Holiness the Dalai Lama concerning the reincarnation of [religious figure] Choedon Rinpoche from Sera Je Lhopa Khantsen,” he added.

The source stated that Gendun Sherab had actually been put on a Chinese federal government watchlist after being expelled from the Rabten abbey in Sog county (in Chinese Suǒ) as a suspect for his questionable political views.

“While in custody his captors severely tortured him and he was not even allowed to seek medical treatment from hospitals afterwards,” the source stated.

“The authorities held him in a detention center in Lhasa for three months, during which they beat him severely. The torture was so bad that he could not even move his body and was unable to speak,” the source added.

The monk was launched by the authorities after suffering deadly injuries, according to the source.

“They only let him go because it was pretty clear he was about to die,” stated the source.

“But since they deprived him of all his political rights, effectively blacklisting him, he was unable to be admitted into any hospitals to seek care. So instead he left Lhasa quickly and secretly sought treatment through traditional Tibetan medicine in his home,” the source stated.

However the standard treatments did not assist much, according to the source, so Gendun Sherab lived about two more years with the injuries he sustained from torture, till his death at age 50 at his home in Barkal town in Sog county’s Rongpo municipality. His dad’s name was Gyaljig.

A previously independent country, Tibet was taken control of and included into China by force 70 years earlier, following which Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and countless his followers ran away into exile in India.

Chinese authorities now preserve a tight grip on Tibet and on Tibetan- inhabited areas of western Chinese provinces, limiting Tibetans’ political activities and serene expression of spiritual and cultural identities, and subjecting Tibetans to jail time, torture, and extrajudicial killings.

Reported by Pema Ngodup for RFA’s Tibetan Service. Equated by Dorjee Damdul. Composed in English by Eugene Whong.

The post Tibetan Monk Dies After Living Two Years With Torture Injuries Sustained in Custody appeared first on World Weekly News.