Coronavirus: NHS nurse who died ‘would still be alive if given proper protective equipment’

Derrick Santistevan

An NHS nurse who died after contracting coronavirus would still be alive today if he had actually been given proper protective equipment, his family think.

Thomas Harvey, a health care assistant at North East London NHS Foundation Trust, had actually been not able to consume for a number of days and had a hard time to breathe after capturing COVID-19, 2 of his children informed Sky News.

The father-of-seven contracted the infection after dealing with a patient with the illness on his ward, according a Go Fund Me page which raised more than ₤13,000 for his family.

Mr Harvey’s death was referred to as a ‘substantial loss’ to the NHS

Mr Harvey’s child Tamira and kid Thomas Jr think their dad was pull down after declaring he was not given proper individual protective equipment (PPE).

“He was never even tested and we haven’t been either,” Tamira stated.

“[The government] understood the intensity [of the virus] prior to anybody else did. They might have avoided this in many methods.”

Mr Harvey, 57, died on Sunday after collapsing in the restroom of his east London home.

Thomas Jr stated his dad “hadn’t eaten for eight days” and “the last few days he couldn’t even speak properly because he couldn’t breathe”.

“He was having to communicate with hand gestures,” he stated.

Thomas Harvey’s children Tamira and Thomas Jr think their dad was pull down

Mr Harvey’s family have actually now voiced issues for his widow who is likewise a health employee and has asthma.

“I don’t even want her to go outside the house, never mind go to work,” Thomas Jr stated.

“I can’t really explain it…but knowing that my father could still be here….if certain things had been done, is very hard.”

The organiser of the Go Fund Me appeal for Mr Harvey’s family stated he was “a devoted member of the NHS for over 20 years and loved his job to the fullest”.

“He looked after all his patients to the best of his ability and was loved by many,” they stated.

” He was a valued associate, a spouse, a daddy, a grandpa and a friend.

” Sadly after dealing with a COVID-19 patient on his ward, he contracted the infection and died all of a sudden after defending his life for almost 2 weeks.

“Thomas leaves behind his wife of 22 years, seven children and three grandchildren.”

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

North East London NHS Foundation Trust firmly insisted the healthcare facility has actually been following national PPE assistance.

A spokesperson informed the Hackney Gazette: “At the time Thomas went off sick and self-isolated there were no symptomatic patients on the ward.”

The trust’s president, Teacher Oliver Shanley, verified Mr Harvey had actually COVID-19 and commemorated him, stating he was a “dear and valued colleague” and his death was a “huge loss” to the NHS.

On Wednesday, it was verified leading NHS medical professional Alfa Saadu had died after contracting coronavirus 2 weeks back.

Dr Alfa Saadu died after contracting COVID-19

Former health secretary Jeremy Hunt called the deaths of the 2 NHS employees “tragic”.

“These are true heroes,” he stated.

“They could have stayed at home and protected themselves but put themselves back into the fray to save lives.”

The post Coronavirus: NHS nurse who died ‘would still be alive if given proper protective equipment’ appeared first on World Weekly News.