Why Does Exercising Your Dog Make Sense?
Is It Okay For My Dog To Exercise Themselves In The Garden?
Know Your Dog
What Counts As Exercise?
- 30 minutes of walking through the neighborhood? Yes!
- 45 minutes of jogging? Yes!
- 1 hour of hiking? Definitely!
- 30 minutes of fetch in a field? You got it!
- 20 minutes of tug with a rope? Yep!
- 1 hour of agility classes? Nailed it.
- 20 minutes of swimming? Yes!
- 1 hour of tracking classes? Totally!
“Too much? How do I know if it’s too much?”
What Doesn’t Count As Exercise?
- Unsupervised time in the back yard.
- Chewing on a bone, treat-filled toy, or another type of toy. (It’s mental stimulation, but not exercise.
How Good Is It For Me And My Dog?
What If My Dog Has Health Issues?
What Happens If Your Dog Doesn’t Get Enough Exercise?
Signs Your Dog Is Not Getting Enough Exercise
- Weight gain
- Lack of energy (lethargy)
- Too much energy (anxious, constantly excitable)
- Chewing of inappropriate objects (furniture, carpet, shoes, etc.)
- Constant barking at “invisible” objects
- Lack of alertness
How Do Americans Exercise Their Dogs?
The Right Amount Of Exercise For Your Dog: The Age Factor
How Much Daily Exercise Does A Puppy Need?
How Much Daily Exercise Does An Adult Dog Need?
How Much Daily Exercise Does A Senior Dog Need?
How Much Exercise Does A Specific Dog Breed Need?
What If I Have A Mixed Breed Dog?
Here Are A Few Tips On How You And Your Dog Can Exercise Together
- Wear a pedometer so you know how far you’ve walked/jogged. Set goals for yourself and your fur-baby and set out to beat them!
- Start slow if you and/or your dog is new to exercise. If either one of you shows signs of exhaustion, stop and take a break. Don’t overdo it!
- Establish an exercise routine that you’re comfortable with. Dogs love routine! And it’ll get you into the habit more.
- Avoid exercising in unsuitable conditions. If the pavement is too hot for your hand, it’s too hot for your dog. If it’s blistering cold outside, it’s too cold for outdoor exercise.
- Give your dog new toys to keep your activities interesting!
- Introduce your dog to new places to keep his brain alert and interested!
- Don’t be afraid to hire a professional dog walker if you’re too busy to take daily walks. Your fur-baby needs it!
Fun Ways To Exercise Together Outdoors
Fun Ways To Exercise Together Indoors:
- Obedience training
Symptoms Of Over-Exercise Can Include
- Excessive panting during or after exertion
- Extreme thirst
- Lagging behind when they are normally in front of you
- Confusion and lack of focus
- Overtired or excessive sleeping or laying down
- Signs of overheating or heat stroke (dogs can’t cool down as fast as humans, so the weather doesn’t have to be super hot for them to overheat)
Are There Types Of Exercising You Should Avoid?
How To Fit In Dog Exercise If You Work Full-Time ?
Best Toys To Exercise Your Dog
To make it easier for you, I’ve listed a few solid options that I love, too.
Dog bike leash
Dog Agility Training Tunnel
Dog Exercise Wheel
One Request From Speedy
Kelly Sidehof put so much effort writing this blog post to provide value to the dog parent community. It’ll be very helpful for me, if you consider sharing it on social media networks.