IF AT FIRST YOU DON’T SUCCEED…

teni

I want to start this post by saying how truly touched I am by the support for Remarques. I’m reading through all the comments and I just don’t even know what I did to deserve such wonderful people cheering me on! Thank you so much for lifting me up and encouraging me. I hope I can give you even a fraction of the feeling you’ve given me!

Now… On to my DIY disaster, ha! Let’s rewind to a few weeks ago when I ordered a lingerie item from Gooseberry Intimates. I figured it’s summertime, the weather’s heating up, and it’ll look really cute with a pair of jeans. Being actual lingerie, I knew there would be no coverage in the boob area. But considering my MacGyver approach to life, I knew I could rig it somehow to add coverage and be able to wear it out in public.

So here’s what I did: I went down to the local fabric store to find a flesh-tone swim material fabric. Something with stretch that was pretty thin so it didn’t look bulky against the delicate lace, and I wanted something that would most closely match my skin tone. (Picture me walking through the aisles at JoAnn’s lifting up my shirt to compare my torso to the rolls of fabric. Not weird at all.) The closest match I could find was a light-medium tan with a hint of blush, so I went with it.

In my mind, this worked out perfectly: Measure the diameter of the cup, cut a piece of fabric an inch or two bigger in diameter to give it some slack, and sew it to the inside of the cup around the seam. The execution, however… Not so perfect. I think I didn’t give it enough slack, because once I finished sewing one cup and tried it on, it  made the lace crease up and didn’t lay perfectly like the side without the insert.

I didn’t give up, though! I undid what I’d sewn and went back to the drawing board. Since it has to fit the curvature of my body, I decided to put the bodysuit on and sew the fabric while I was wearing it. Aside from giving me a neck cramp because I had to look down for so long, it wasn’t that difficult! This time around, I cut enough fabric for just the top part of the cup where the nips go. That way I didn’t have to worry about getting the right slack and curve for the rest of the cup.

Factoring in the first fail, this took much longer than I expected! But I guess the moral of the story is don’t be discouraged when an idea you had doesn’t work initially. Give it some more thought and it’s likely you’ll come up with an alternative that works just as well!

The post IF AT FIRST YOU DON’T SUCCEED… appeared first on REMARQUES.